No GMAT required – get started right away.
Ranked #2 in the nation according to the 2019 College Consensus for "Best Online Master’s in Accounting Degree Programs," the Rutgers Business School Master's in Governmental Accounting is the first and only program of its kind available entirely online, exclusively at Rutgers. If you’re looking for a flexible, online accounting master’s program that fits into your busy life and will help you advance a career in the public or nonprofit sector, then the Rutgers Business School Master’s in Governmental Accounting is for you. Taught by industry leaders, our program is designed to prepare you in the rapidly expanding field of government financial management, accounting, and auditing. At just 30 credits, you can complete this program part-time as you work, and even in as little as a year, while fulfilling the additional credits required to sit for the New Jersey CPA exam.
- Credits: 30
- Duration: At just 30 credits, you can complete this program part-time as you work, and even in as little as a year, while fulfilling the additional credits required to sit for the New Jersey CPA exam.
- Full-time (12 or more credits/semester)
- Part-time (11 or fewer credits/semester)
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the eligibility requirements?
Candidates for the program should hold a bachelor's degree, preferably in business or accounting. Admission to the program is competitive and candidates must meet the graduate admissions requirements of Rutgers Business School. Candidates who do not hold a business or accounting degree may take the prerequisite course "Accounting for Managers" in the summer to qualify for admission to the program.
Can the program be completed entirely online?
Yes, the Master's in Governmental Accounting program can be completed without ever setting foot in a classroom. You can learn online anytime, anywhere from our distinguished faculty in a highly interactive setting. Online courses are offered through Canvas. Students complete assignments and tests electronically and interact with classmates through threaded discussions. In-state students also may take elective courses, with the approval of the program director, on the New Brunswick and Newark campuses.
Do you offer a certificate option?
Rutgers Business School offers an online 12-credit Certificate in Government Financial Management. Students in the certificate program complete four online courses—Governmental Accounting and Auditing, Public Sector Auditing, Governmental Budgeting Systems, and Design and Development of Information Systems—to receive a Graduate Certificate in Financial Management. The courses prepare students to sit for the Certified Government Financial Manager exam sponsored by the Association of Government Accountants and can later be applied toward the master’s degree.
What is the benefit of earning a certificate?
If you are not yet ready to enroll in a master’s program, a certificate helps to demonstrate your knowledge of government financial management and can open up new career opportunities. The certificate also prepares you to sit for the Certified Government Financial Manager exam (CGFM), a highly respected credential within the world of governmental accounting.
What sort of real-world experience will I gain through the program?
The Master's in Governmental Accounting curriculum has been developed with the input of leaders in the field of government financial management. Many of the courses have been designed and are taught by leading experts in the field, and case studies and real-world examples are essential components of the program. In addition, students participate in virtual team projects and often are presented with the opportunity to assist with standard-setting research.
- Director, Fiscal Services
- Chief Financial Officer
- Financial Reporting Manager
- Budget Coordinator
- Audits and Investigations, Medical Review
- Staff Accountant I and II
- Financial Specialist 1 – Internal Audit
- Senior Auditor, Office of the State Auditor
- Budget Analyst/Comptroller Dept.
- CFO/Department of Finance
- Grants Mgr/Grants Administration
- Internal Audit
- Homeland Security
- Business Administrator
- Auditor/Independent Office of Audits and Investigations
- School Districts
- California Dept. of Health Care Services
- South Carolina Regional Housing Authority
- New Jersey Judiciary
- Investor Bank
- The State of New Jersey
- U.S. Navy
- Board of Education
- Novant Health Foundation
- Custom and Border Protection
- U.S. Dept. of Defense
- Internal Revenue Service
- 2019:#2 Best Online Master’s in Accounting Degree Programs 2019 - College Consensus;
- 2019:#9 Best Online Graduate Accounting Business Programs - U.S. News & World Report;
- 2018:#5 Best Online Accounting Masters for Government Employees - Online Masters;
- 2018:#8 Best Online Graduate Business Programs: Accounting (#3 in the Big Ten) U.S. News & World Report;
- 2016:#14 Online graduate business programs in the nation (excluding MBA) with Masters in Governmental Accounting and Supply Chain Management - U.S. News & World Report;
- 2015:#13 Online Graduate Business Program nationwide Master of Accountancy in Governmental Accounting Program- US News & World Report.
Program Director: Irfan Bora / firstname.lastname@example.org
Program Coordinator: Marcie Kachur / email@example.com
About the School
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Ru ... Read More