MBA Business Administration (Online)
At a glance
- UCAS Code: N1T717
- Course Duration: 2 years (part-time)
- Mode of study: Part-Time
- Location: Durham City
- Start Date: 02/10/2017, 18/04/2018
Flexibility is at the heart of the Durham Online MBA programme as you can personalise your programme to meet your career goals. You can study fully online, complete some of your learning at Durham, and undertake relevant optional modules.
The global spread of students, alumni and faculty will give you the ability to network virtually with people from across the world, and from a wide-range of business sectors.
Online MBA in detail
Structured around a two-year study calendar, you can choose to undertake the programme 100% online or take a blended approach where you combine your online learning with residential modules. Whichever way you choose, our comprehensive induction will equip you with an essential toolkit of study skills to help you prepare for your MBA.
Our virtual learning environment is at the heart of your Online MBA experience. Through this, you will receive online lectures, podcasts and webinars, as well as participating in a range of e-learning activities, discussion boards and virtual group work. There is a virtual campus, complete with powerful social networking tools to keep you in touch with your fellow students wherever they are in the world.
This virtual campus is supported with an annual Summer School held here in Durham, which brings together students from around the world to provide support and inspiration to drive you forward.
You will be expected to devote around 15 hours per week to study, and if you choose to undertake core modules at Durham these will typically take place in April and October.
Your online personal career advancement service is also core to the Online MBA programme, accelerating your leadership capabilities to realise your full potential. Gaining global business experience is also an option through the International Business in Context module, which will give you the ability to operate within an international business environment.
You will complete:
- Five core modules
- Two optional modules
- Strategic Case Analysis
Five core modules
These are the foundation of your programme – establishing the management knowledge, understanding and research skills every leader needs.
- Accounting, Finance and Economics
- Leading and Managing People
- Operations and Technology
- Strategic Management
Two optional modules
Depending on your career aspirations, you can either choose to study two optional modules that you find particularly interesting and most relevant to your future career.
Or alternatively, you can choose to study two modules within a structured pathway focusing on the area of entrepreneurship, consultancy or technology.
Modules on offer are dependent on demand, but in previous years have included:
- New Venture Creation
- Management Consultancy
- Project Management
- Business Analytics
- Technology Innovation
- International Business in Context
- Entrepreneurship: Entrepreneurship Management and Corporate Entrepreneurship, and New Venture Creation,
- Consultancy: Management Consulting and Project Management, or
- Technology: Business Analytics and Technology Innovation
Strategic Case Analysis
The Strategic Case Analysis replaces the traditional university dissertation. It is an in-depth study of key organisational issues, which is more in keeping with the needs of business and management today. It is an opportunity to apply the knowledge you have acquired through the core and optional modules to a project that is of relevance to you, for example in your own organisation, a supplier, a competitor or another organisation in the private, public or voluntary sector.
The Durham Online MBA Residential brings together students from across the globe to provide support and inspiration to drive you forward in your studies. These optional sessions give you the opportunity to attend modules at our world-class business school facilities in Durham, where you will have access to the very latest IT and library services. The Residential also includes speaker events, a variety of social events, and a truly unique opportunity to enjoy the Durham experience.
Subject requirements, level and grade
- A minimum of three (preferably five) years' relevant work experience since the graduation of a managerial nature.
- An Upper Second Class Bachelor Degree or international equivalent.
This course includes online activities, you will need a computer with reliable internet access. Our recommended operating systems are Microsoft Windows 7+ or Apple Mac MacOSx 10.9+.
We recommend a minimum 1 Mbps internet connection but a greater bandwidth (up to 8Mbps) will provide a better experience for some resources and events. If relying on an employer’s internet connection, be aware that firewall restrictions and policies may exist that prevent access to all or part of the course.
You will need:
- Recommended web browser Windows: Internet Explorer 11+, Chrome 39+, Firefox 34+ MAC OSX: Safari 8+, Chrome 39+, Firefox 34+
- The ability to open and edit Microsoft Office documents (e.g. Microsoft Office, OpenOffice or access to Google Docs)
- Flash player
- Ability to open .pdf documents (e.g. Adobe Reader)
- A headset or headphones and microphone
To participate fully in some online events students should have a webcam and to access some tools and resources you may need the ability to install software.
How do I apply?
You will need to complete the online application form.
As well as your online application, please submit the following:
- Your CV or resume including full details of previous employment, dates of employment, main duties and responsibilities, salary per annum (in £ sterling) and any periods of unemployment including dates and an explanation
- Two employer references
- Copy of your degree certificate (where appropriate)
- Copy of your English test results (where appropriate)
Only files of type .doc, .docx, .gif, .jpg, .pdf, .png, .rtf are permitted to be uploaded. The maximum file size is 5MB.
Fees and Funding
The total fee for the two-year programme is £21,000, payable across the duration of the programme.
Included in the fee:
- Induction (taught in Durham, or online)
- Online teaching materials
- Library access (including access to subscription journals)
- Tutor support
- Travel and accommodation to any taught modules (including International Business in Context)
- Optional textbooks (may be suggested by Module Leaders for further reading)
Note: Fees are subject to review and change in-line with inflation.
Program taught in: