*subject to validation
Early bird discount
Gain access to the world-class photography expertise University of Falmouth’s Institute of Photography is renowned for without having to attend on-campus classes with this online photography top-up course.
- Award Title: BA(Hons) Photography (Top Up)
- Awarding Body: Falmouth University
- Level: 6
- Mode of study: online, part-time
- Duration: 1 year
Falmouth’s online BA(Hons) Photography Top-Up course is designed to:
Develop your practical skills and theoretical knowledge related to photographic technologies, equipment and processes so that you can create innovative and progressive photographic work.
Deepen your understanding of the cultural, economic and philosophical contexts of photography and how they relate to modern visual culture and photographic practice.
Improve your ability to analyse and critically assess your own work so that you can contextualise your practice from an audience and format perspective.
Empower you to be a better judge of your own photographic work, and to be able to develop and master a long-term practical project.
Build a range of essential attributes related to photography, including independent judgement, entrepreneurship and communication skills, to help you become a global photography professional.
Who is the course designed for?
Typically, this course is for students who have completed a 2-year foundation degree or HND-level course in a field related to photography and want to take their studies to the next level with an internationally-recognised honours degree from one of the world’s leading creative universities.
Falmouth’s BA (Hons) Photography Top-Up course is the perfect choice if you’re:
- Creative, inquisitive and innovative
- Keen to work as part of a like-minded team of creatives and learn from your peers
- Wanting to improve the quality of your photographic work and to help your peers improve the quality of theirs by sharing individual critical perspectives
- Looking to produce photographic work that makes a positive contribution to your community, economy and environment
As a BA (Hons) Photography Top-Up graduate, you’ll have the competencies and skills to apply for a range of image production roles across the media, creative, or other related industries.
What you’ll learn
During the first module of the course, you’ll have an introduction to the key concepts and themes related to contemporary photography. Throughout the module, you’ll get to try out different creative and practical approaches to photography. You’ll also work on an independent project that will be assessed at the module’s completion.
During the next module, you’ll gain an understanding of contemporary photography within a range of professional contexts. You’ll also take the work you produced during the first module to help you develop an independent project that’s aligned with these professional context(s).
During the course’s final module, you’ll have the option to either build upon the independent project you started in the second module, or work on a new project. Whichever option you choose, by the end of this final module you’ll have a photographic portfolio of publishable work you can take with you while pursuing your career in photography.
How you’ll be assessed
You’ll be assessed on both your practical (60%) and theory (40%) skills and knowledge.
Both the practical and theory work you’ll complete during the course is submitted and assessed online.
The assessments you’ll complete during this course are:
- Module 1: A practical photography portfolio and a ‘Critical Journal’ to critique your own work.
- Module 2: A practical photography portfolio and a supporting report that discusses your work from the perspective of its relevant professional contexts.
- Module 3: A final portfolio project and a supporting Critical Research Journal and Critical Review of Practice, both providing an in-depth analysis of your work.
How you’ll learn
You’ll learn each module of the course in a variety of ways, including:
- Online discussions where you can share valuable feedback with peers and tutors
- Online forums, lectures and seminars
- Online teamwork-based workshops
- Individual and group-based learning tutorials
- Your own independent study
- Self-evaluation and the opportunity to arrange a work placement to improve your practice
These flexible learning methods support your development as a self-aware, confident and critically-engaged photography practitioner.
Paying for your course
When applying for this course, there are a range of discounts you might be eligible for:
- Early bird discounts
- Falmouth Flexible Bursaries
- Alumni discount (15% for Falmouth alumni)
- Refer a friend discounts
For more information about these discounts and other financial assistance with your studies, you can phone us on +44 (0)1223 447713.
Terms and conditions apply.
How to apply
- Submit your completed online application form
- Send us copies of your relevant qualifications, transcripts, and other supporting documents
- Submit a digital portfolio of your work that’s reflective of the quality of your photography and your creative skills and potential. This can be work you’ve already published, a personal project, or work you’ve produced during a recent course.
If places are still available, we may consider late applications.
Please contact us with any questions you might have about the course, or for help with applying.
Call us on 0800 5999123 or +44 (0)1223 447713.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated June 25, 2018