From probability and statistics to data analysis and machine learning, master the skills needed to solve complex challenges with data.
Demand for professionals skilled in data, analytics, and machine learning is exploding. A recent report, by IBM and Burning Glass, states that there will be 364K new job openings in data-driven professions by 2020 in the US. Data scientists bring value to organizations across industries because they are able to solve complex challenges with data and drive important decision-making processes. 39% of the most rigorous data science positions require a degree higher than a bachelor’s.
This MicroMasters program in Statistics and Data Science is comprised of four online courses and a virtually proctored exam that will provide you with the foundational knowledge essential to understanding the methods and tools used in data science, and hands-on training in data analysis and machine learning. You will dive into the fundamentals of probability and statistics, as well as learn, implement, and experiment with data analysis techniques and machine learning algorithms. This program will prepare you to become an informed and effective practitioner of data scientist who adds value to an organization. The credential can be applied, for admitted students, towards a Ph.D. in Social and Engineering Systems (SES) through the MIT Institute for Data, Systems, and Society (IDSS) or may accelerate your path towards a Master’s degree at other universities around the world.
Anyone can enroll in this MicroMasters program. It is designed for learners that want to acquire sophisticated and rigorous training in data science without leaving their day job but without compromising quality. There is no application process but college-level calculus and comfort with mathematical reasoning and Python programming are highly recommended if you want to excel. All the courses are taught by MIT faculty at a similar pace and level of rigor as an on-campus course at MIT. This program brings MIT’s rigorous, high-quality curricula and hands-on learning approach to learners around the world – at scale.
- A recent report by IBM and Burning Glass state that there will be 364K new job openings in data-driven professions by 2020 in the US.
- Out of those jobs, the toughest to fill in are the Data Scientist/Advanced Analytics positions.
- 39% of these positions require a degree higher than a bachelor’s.
- By completing this MicroMasters program you will be able to solve complex challenges with data and drive decision-making processes for organizations.
What You'll Learn
- Master the foundations of data science, statistics, and machine learning.
- Analyze big data and make data-driven predictions through probabilistic modeling and statistical inference; identify and deploy appropriate modeling and methodologies in order to extract meaningful information for decision making.
- Develop and build machine learning algorithms to extract meaningful information from seemingly unstructured data; learn popular unsupervised learning methods, including clustering methodologies and supervised methods such as deep neural networks.
- Finishing this MicroMasters program will prepare you for job titles such as Data Scientist, Data Analyst, Business Intelligence Analyst, Systems Analyst, Data Engineer.
What is a MicroMasters Program?
Developed to advance a career and born from Master's programs of leading universities, MicroMasters programs are a series of higher-level courses recognized by companies for real job relevancy and may accelerate a Master's degree.
MicroMasters Program Details
How To Earn The MicroMasters Credential
Complete and successfully earn a verified certificate in four required courses and pass a virtually-proctored capstone exam.
Take Your Credential To The Next Level
Learners who successfully complete this MITx MicroMasters credential have the opportunity to apply to the MIT Doctoral Program in Social and Engineering Systems (SES) offered through the MIT Institute for Data, Systems, and Society (IDSS). Learners can use their MicroMasters credential to demonstrate their preparation in Statistics and Data Science fundamentals to the SES Admissions Committee. Learners admitted to SES can expect that their MITx MicroMasters coursework will be recognized with credit for corresponding SES core classes, and for satisfying the SES Information, Systems, and Decision Science requirements.
In addition, learners who successfully earn the MITx MicroMasters credential in Statistics and Data Science are now eligible to earn credit at a number of universities across the globe to fast track their pursuit of a full Master’s degree. Below is a list of these universities and information on the amount of credit offered.
- Average Length: 12 weeks per course
- Effort: 10-14 hours per week, per course
- Number Of Courses: 5 Courses in Program
- Subject: Statistics, Data Science
- Institution: Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Institution Offering Credit: Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Language: English
- Video Transcripts: English
- Price (USD): Originally $1500 USD, now $1350 USD for the entire program. You save $150 USD.
About the School
Founded by Harvard University and MIT in 2012, edX is an online learning destination and MOOC provider, offering high-quality courses from the world’s best universities and institutions to learners ev ... Read More