Learn the design approaches to software engineering, which allow experts to work in any programming language and build a project portfolio using Java, Typescript and more.
Speed is critical in software development. Successful developers are those who are able to quickly learn new technologies and new software systems, and they do this by seeing any software – in any programming language – as common repeating patterns, not just detailed lines of code.
In this MicroMasters program, you will learn this same kind of expert thinking. By working through several software development projects, you will learn specific technologies, including Java, JUnit, IntelliJ IDEA, Typescript, and Node.js. But even more important, you will develop the ability to see the common structures in programs and in tools and learn how to apply these skills to master new technologies quickly.
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to write programs using a systematic approach and to design programs that are easy to maintain. You will also learn how to use agile methods in order to build software programs that solve real-world problems.
With the skills obtained in this program, you will have the confidence to apply for positions that use any programming language or technology.
- Career prospects for people with similar training include software developer, software tester or any quality assurance roles.
- The median salary for Software Development jobs in the US is $100,690 per year. (source: Bureau of Labour Statistics)
- It is projected that 186,600 new software development jobs will need to be filled in the US alone in the next ten years. (source: Bureau of Labour Statistics)
What You'll Learn
- How to develop programs that are well tested and easy to modify
- To structure the development of large software systems using abstraction and decomposition
- To quickly write and revise code using programming tools
- How to do full-stack software development using an agile approach in a pair or team
- Popular languages Java and Typescript, and the ability to quickly learn new ones
What is a MicroMasters Program?
Developed to advance a career and born from Master's programs of leading universities, MicroMasters programs are a series of higher-level courses recognized by companies for real job relevancy and may accelerate a Master's degree.
MicroMasters Program Details
How To Earn The MicroMasters Credential
Complete and successfully earn a Verified Certificate in all 5 courses plus the Capstone Software Engineering Project course.
Take Your Credential To The Next Level
Learners who successfully earn the MicroMasters program certificate are eligible to apply for admission to the Master of Science (Computer Science) program at Curtin University.
If a learner applies for admission to the Master of Science (Computer Science) program at Curtin University and is accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards 25% (or 100 credits of the 400 credits) of the coursework required for graduation in the Curtin program.
Eligibility to be accepted into the Master program is subject to the Curtin University Admission Requirements being met.
- Average Length: 6-7 weeks per course
- Effort: 8-10 hours per week, per course
- Number Of Courses: 6 Courses in Program
- Subject: Computer Science
- Institutions: University of British Columbia
- Institution Offering Credit: University of British Columbia
- Language: English
- Video Transcripts: English
- Price (USD): Originally $925 USD, now $832.50 USD for the entire program. You save $92.50 USD.