Winthrop University's online Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) traditional program is a 60-credit hour degree program for students who possess a bachelor's degree but may not have previous training in social work. The degree offers an empowerment-focused curriculum that prepares you to improve lives and communities as a competent, specialized social worker. You will learn to gauge the influences of power and use culturally relevant assessment, intervention, and evaluation methods to promote change across systems and levels of practice.
- Complete the 60-credit hour Traditional program in three years.
- Accredited by the CSWE and grounded in the NASW Code of Ethics.
- Graduates are eligible to apply for state social work licensure at the master's level - state licensure requirements vary.
- Receive ongoing support from a dedicated faculty advisor.
- Study a unique curriculum with a specialized focus on empowerment practice.
- Receive dedicated assistance finding field work for your internships from a field placement specialist.
Graduates of the online M.S.W. program are prepared to:
- Engage in specialized practice that is constructed from a professional foundation of social work knowledge, skills, and values.
- Use empowerment practice principles including affirming strengths and capacities and thinking critically about influences of power as a guiding framework for selecting, applying and evaluating evidence-based advanced theories and methods in ways that promote human and social well-being.
- Provide leadership in influencing societal systems of power to become more responsive and culturally relevant toward helping people and groups improve their current situations and quality of life.
Social workers help people, communities, and organizations affirm strengths and capacities and identify, address, and overcome challenges and affirm strengths and capacities. The online M.S.W. program will prepare you for social work positions where you can make a real difference in diverse practice areas such as:
- Child Welfare
- Healthcare Social Work
- Justice and Corrections
- Mental Health
- Policy Planning
- Community Organizing
- International Social Work
- And more
Common roles include:
- Grant Writer
- And more
Positions for social workers are expected to grow 12 percent by 2024, faster than the average profession.1
Graduate students may be eligible for federal loans. To apply, students must submit a FAFSA using Winthrop's school code of 003456.
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- 3.0 GPA on last 60 credit hours
- GRE or MAT score
The M.S.W. program has three starts a year in August, January, and May.
1U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook
About the School
Winthrop University is a public, comprehensive university located just outside of Charlotte, North Carolina, in Rock Hill, South Carolina, with a rich tradition spanning more than 130 years. Winthrop ... Read More