George Mason University's online Master of Social Work (MSW) degree program prepares you to take the next step toward a career in direct client service. With an MSW curriculum that emphasizes social justice, empowerment, and systems transformation, you can be confident you're learning what it takes to serve the needs of any population in a variety of social work settings.
Our curriculum is led by our renowned faculty of active researchers and experienced social work practitioners, giving you real-world insights that you can apply to your future work. You'll also have access to Mason's established community connections in both the classroom and your hands-on fieldwork requirement.
- 100% Online. All of your coursework comes in a flexible online format that accommodates your busy working schedule.
- Competitively Priced. Our program is competitively priced for a respected master's degree program at $775 per credit hour.
- Social Justice Curriculum Focus. Gain interdisciplinary perspectives on topics like human behavior, social policy, research methods, and clinical practice.
- Expert, Practitioner Faculty. Our faculty members are active researchers and social workers with decades of experience. Develop an evidence-based practice and establish strong relationships with real-world practitioners.
- Certification Ready. Upon program completion, you may be eligible to sit for one of the following licensing exams: Licensed Social Worker or Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
When you complete your MSW with George Mason University, you'll be ready to:
- Take the next steps toward becoming a licensed social worker and working directly with clients
- Engage with cultural diversity and difference in your practice
- Advance human rights and social and economic justice
- Engage in research-informed practice and practice-informed research
- Apply knowledge of human behavior and the social environment to your work
Social Work Careers
Overall, employment of social workers is projected to grow 16 percent from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average for all occupations.1 Below, you'll find titles occupied by current graduates of Mason's MSW program:
- Child, Family and School Social Workers, projected job growth: 14%1
- Health Care Social Workers, projected job growth: 20%1
- Substance Abuse, Behavioral Disorder, and Mental Health Counselors, projected job growth: 19%1
- Social and Community Service Managers, projected job growth: 18%2
1Elka Torpey, "Careers in social work: Outlook, pay, and more," Career Outlook, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, March 2018 at https://www.bls.gov/careeroutlook/2018/article/social-workers.htm. Accessed October 30, 2018.
2Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Social and Community Service Managers at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/social-and-community-service-managers.htm. Accessed October 30, 2018.
*Our online MSW program is currently under review for CSWE accreditation.
About the School
Located in Fairfax, Virginia, George Mason University is the largest public research university in the Commonwealth of Virginia.