Master of Climate Change
The signing in 1992 of the Framework Convention on Climate Change United Nations, was the beginning of a series of initiatives aimed at curbing the carelessness that existed previously on emissions of certain gases into the atmosphere, mainly carbon dioxide and methane, causing the increase in global temperature of the earth.
Later, with the signing of the Kyoto Protocol in 1997 and its subsequent entry into force, the ultimate accolade was given to inclusion, with varying success, the phenomenon in government agendas of developed countries, private investment and, ultimately, on the day to day and perception of civil society.
However, outside interests, there is still widespread ignorance about the mechanisms of climate change and its impacts on biodiversity, production systems and the general population, hence the need for qualified personnel to carry out actions and make decisions in the fight against global warming.
The MA in Climate Change presented here meets a critical need to train professionals in different sectors, who can find alternatives and business opportunities resulting from this phenomenon to develop plans for adaptation and mitigation projects for Research, Development and Innovation .
For this reason, it is considered essential to prepare the student with a prior environmental base that allows you to understand the fundamental issues of climate change and thus get, after studying the second part, an integrated vision of the problem at the environmental level, socio-political and economic.
Forming multidisciplinary professionals capable of developing climate change projects and design strategies for sustainable development in vulnerable communities.
- Understanding the sustainable development approach in their natural dimensions, political, territorial and socio-economic.
- Knowing the conventions and treaties between states that set management policies aimed at sustainability, highlighting the concern over these issues, particularly climate change in international policies.
- Understanding the magnitude and importance of the global changes that affect the functioning of the planet as a result of human activities product development.
- Analyze the current situation and the transformation processes in Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean from the perspective of sustainable development.
- Describe air pollutants resulting from fossil fuel use, in particular, emissions of greenhouse gases (GHGs).
- Identify the regulatory framework on air that is applicable to the company.
- Know the preventive and control measures end-line of the industrial processes.
- Understand the laws of dispersion of pollutants in the atmosphere.
- Recognize the importance of minimizing as a preventive tool in the management, and the incorporation of clean technologies and adoption of best practices in industrial activities.
- Describe the principles of the policy of recycling and composting and biogas production studio, as a special case of conversion of fermentable organic matter.
- Analyze how climate change affects the balance of the water cycle.
- Relate the causes of biodiversity loss and forms of action against climate change.
- Knowing the main features of threatened species today, steps and relationship successes.
- Understanding the meaning of sustainable management and exploitation of the forest and its role as a sink for CO2.
- Analyze alternatives using the best technique for soil remediation in each case, from the standpoint of technical and economic viability.
- Describe the techniques used for carbon sequestration in soil and other monitoring and sanitation and / or recovery used in the remediation of contaminated sites
- Implement ISO 14001 in any company.
- Prepare an Environmental Impact Study.
- Relate the market for emission rights and the variables that determine the clean development mechanism (CDM)
- Calculate the carbon footprint for different scenarios
- To emphasize the role that can and should play in environmental education stages of reconstruction and development after a disaster, in order to ensure, through the incorporation of risk management, sustainability Dad processes medium to long term.
- Propose the characteristics required for environmental education, indeed, become a tool for reducing individual and collective vulnerability to the dynamics of nature and society.
Program taught in: