The International GCSE in Science (Double Award) aims to impart a systematic body of scientific knowledge and facts, and an understanding of scientific concepts, principles, themes and patterns. Experimental skills based on correct and safe laboratory techniques are developed, as well as students’ ability to form hypotheses and design experiments to test them. This single-tier qualification is assessed via three papers – one each from chemistry, biology and physics. Students are awarded two International GCSE grades from A* to G.
- Qualification: IGCSE Combined Science (Double Award)
- Accredited: Yes
- QCF Recognised: Yes
- Awarding Body: Edexcel
- Start Date: Anytime - We enrol 365 days a year
- Duration: Flexible - Approx 300 Hours - 12 Months Max Support
- Impart a systematic body of scientific knowledge and facts, and an understanding of scientific concepts, principles, themes and patterns
- Further students' appreciation of the practical nature of science, developing experimental skills based on correct and safe laboratory techniques
- Develop an appreciation of the importance of accurate experimental work to scientific method and reporting
- Develop students' ability to form hypotheses and design experiments to test them
- Sustain and develop an enjoyment of, and interest in, the scientific world
- Foster an appreciation of the significance of science in wider personal, social, environmental, economic and technological contexts, with a consideration of ethical issues
Biology Paper 1
- Section 1: The nature and variety of living organisms
- Section 2: Structures and functions in living organisms
- Section 3: Reproduction and inheritance
- Section 4: Ecology and the environment
- Section 5: Use of biological resources
Chemistry Paper 1
- Section 1: Principles of chemistry
- Section 2: Chemistry of the elements
- Section 3: Organic chemistry
- Section 4: Physical chemistry
- Section 5: Chemistry in society
Physics Paper 1
- Section 1: Forces and motion
- Section 2: Electricity
- Section 3: Waves
- Section 4: Energy resources and energy transfer
- Section 5: Solids, liquids and gases
- Section 6: Magnetism and electromagnetism
- Section 7: Radioactivity and particles
Students looking to enrol in this course should meet the following criteria:
- Be aged 14 Years or above
- Possess a solid knowledge of the English language
- Have access to a PC and the internet for the duration of the whole course
- Basic computer skills: e.g Word processing, emailing, uploading documents etc
- Have a genuine desire to succeed
To sit Edexcel examination students must register as a private candidate with an approved examination centre prior to enrolment.
Course duration will vary dependant on student commitment, effort and ability. Overall guided learning hours are approx 300. This should be used as a guideline only and completion times will vary hugely.
We would encourage students to seriously consider how they plan to complete their chosen course prior to enrolment. Students should think about how they are going to study, where they are going to study and how often. Be realistic!
Speak to family members and help them to understand what you are trying to achieve, explain you may require peace and space to study at certain times. The more you involve them the more likely you are to get them on your side.
Students are reminded that the time in which they complete is purely down to them as an individual. Completion can be as quickly or as slowly as you wish within the 12 month tuition period. If you require additional time an extension may be available. Extensions are arranged at an additional cost as and when needed.
Online: Access our premium online cloud-based learning system where you are able to access all of your course lessons, assignments and tutor correspondence in one place. Download the APP and access your course information on any device from anywhere in the world with an internet signal. This course is not available in hard copy/paper format,
We will begin by looking at what the examination board, Edexcel, will require of you in the way of examinations. You will be referred to what you need to do in terms of registration and arranging with an external centre for you to take the examinations.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 18, 2018